Mossad and Our Passports

In the current debate surrounding the Australian passports used in the assassination of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai, there are two equally unsound positions.

Firstly, there’s the shrill (if exultant) Anti-Zionist response, that often tips over into outright racism. (see readers comments at the end of the stories)

On the other side, Jewish Australian leadership still hasn’t managed to make the distinction between staunch support for a viable Jewish homeland in Israel, and blindly championing every Israeli government action – even when those actions directly contradict Australia’s interests.

The Israel Right or Wrong crowd will remind us that the assassination/passport fiasco could all be a grand conspiracy and that we have no way of knowing if Israel was even involved.

Certainly, there are still many unknowns in this affair. This does not, however, justify communal “leaders,” such as Robert Goot, failing to tell Australia that whoever was behind the identity theft, we Jewish Australians are committed to this country, to its sovereignty and to its security, all of which were compromised in this incident.

This post does not take issue with the assassination itself.  Such an execution that sees no innocent bystanders harmed is preferable to the alternative, and Israel cannot be expected to allow Hamas terrorists – sworn to Israel’s complete destruction, and enamoured of targeting and killing Israeli civilians – to go about their murderous business unchecked.

Some readers will of course object to targeted killings, and there are reasonable arguments on both sides. Anti-Zionists, however, will reject such assassinations as a matter of course, not because they care deeply for the sanctity of human life – their indifference to Israeli civilian suffering betrays their cause as partisan, not humanitarian – but because no Israeli act of self-defence is legitimate in their eyes.

That said, the Australian government is not anti-Zionist. Our media is generally not anti-Zionist. For all the complaints about Fairfax papers, we regularly see Zionist perspectives in their op-ed sections, and The Age’s Editor-in-Chief, Paul Ramadge, braved a hostile Jewish audience in order to listen to community members’ concerns.

The Australian newspaper columnist, Greg Sheridan, is profoundly and consistently pro-Israel. Even Sheridan, however, finds it impossible to justify Israel’s recent activities.

I am an Australian citizen, and profoundly grateful for that. I also love Israel and staunchly defend its right to exist as a Jewish state.

If, however, the Australian government does something objectionable (Children Overboard is a good example) that action should be condemned. Thist is not  equivalent to condemning Australia in its entirety.

It does not seem, however, that the current Israeli administration necessarily returns the commitment and devotion shown by Diaspora Jews. This episode demonstrates a disregard for the Diaspora condition.

The innocent dual nationals, whose identities were appropriated, have quite a mess to sort out if they ever want to visit a country outside Israel, while Jewish communities in Australia and elsewhere can no longer escape that most unpleasant discussion for any ethnic group: dual loyalties. Meanwhile our “leaders” have yet to do anything to ensure that discussion does not take place.

1. Reader Response 5: Israel, Kangaroo Courts, Unity, Speaking Out, and Subheadings
  2. Reader Response 7: Responding to our Non/Anti-Zionist Readers
  3. Michael Fagenblat’s Presentation at the Seven Jewish Children Reading
  4. Dvir Abramovich in The Age: No Laughing!
  5. Antony Loewenstein: Easily Startled

30 Responses to “Mossad and Our Passports”

1. Elder of Zion says:

The Sensible One has returned!

Good post, too.

Hi all.

Firstly, I want to thank you all for your comments. As always, some very important and challenging arguments have been presented,. While I agree with the sentiments of some more than others, I am delighted that a variety of opinions is being expressed here.

That said, this blog’s previous incarnations taught me that responding to individual comments is a recipe for never having the time to do anything else.

For this reason, I will answer opinion “clusters” in a separate post, but I will be sure to attribute any quotes or paraphrasing appropriately.

NB: I ask people who email me with comments about a blog post to direct their comments to the forum here.

In the same way that it is not feasible to answer individual comments in depth, kal va-khomer (how much more so) the many emails demanding answers to questions.

My posts are expressed publicly, and I ask you all to do the same with your responses (although you can post under a pseudonym if you so choose).

Please also note: hate mail, if it’s interesting or funny enough, will be aired publicly from now on.

2. Hanna says:

Growing up a Hashy kid, its been ingrained in me that Israel’s government should be held accountable for its actions. Yet I know too many people (like, everyone) who equate condemning the actions of polititians with condemning our beloved homeland. GOD FORBID it should ever be found that Jews (and Jewish polititians, no less) are human too, capable of making (massive) errors of judgement.

• Morry says:

Hanna, I tend to agree, except for an all important “as”. Rather than “I think Israel should be held accountable for its actions” I would say “I think Israel should be held as accountable for its actions” as everybody else. I can’t escape the realisation that Israel is continuously held to a very different, often impossible, set of standards.

In this case, all intelligence agencies in the world use fake passports of other nations to go about their business, so why is Israel being held to a different standard?

The evidence seems to indicate that Israel wasn’t involved here, but, be that as it may, why does the use of fake Australian passports by the CIA or KGB not bother us? We conveniently turn a blind eye to all spooks, unless they’re Israeli.

I’m sick and tired of the multiple standards. I want a level playing field. I want Israel judged by the same standards everyone else is. When everyone uses phosphorus, it wholly hypocritical to damn Israel for its legal use of phosphorus. There are hundreds of intances of a different standard for Israel.

3. Greg Swedosh says:

While agreeing that it is possible of their being some conspiracy here and that the passport theft was not an action of Israel, if it is shown that Israel was the perpetrator, they should be brought to task by the Australian government. And the Australian government should be fully supported by all Australian Jewish groups and spokespeople if they want to maintain any relevance in Australian society. To blatantly breach the integrity of a trusted ally is a disgraceful action. If sanctioned by the Israeli government, Australia should be considering severing diplomatic ties with Israel. I am Jewish but this is my country. Not Israel. Otherwise that is where I would live. For Jews to blindly accept that Israel’s actions are always justified under any circumstances disgusts me.

4. Mohan says:

Sorry Hannah. I did not know Australia had done anything wrong in this matter -”condemning our beloved homeland”. My apoligies if you are an Israeli citizen.

5. Jack Chrapot says:

Hi Alex,

I guess it’s the lawyer in me or maybe I’m just showing my age but I’d like to think there is some concrete proof that the passport fiasco is Israel’s fault before rushing to condemn anybody.

The only person proven to have used fake passports whose identity has been uncovered so far was the dead man. Al-Mabhouh is a confessed murderer of Jews as well as of his own people and he was in Dubai to purchase arms for Hamas. Local police said he had five different passports on him when he died.

This wouldn’t excuse the Mossad or whoever else might ultimately be proven to be the passport faker but, in the meantime, I can only reflect on the fact that a lot of abuse is being heaped on Israel and there’s very little criticism out there of Hamas or the Palestinians.

Have we made a rod for our own backs by seeking to be a light unto nations or is it plain, common, garden variety anti-S … no I won’t use the word.

6. Alan Freedman says:

What planet do you people live on?

SJ says our media is not anti-Zionist – true, there are worse papers than the Age (eg, Canberra Times) but apart from the Australian, virtually all the media harbours an anti-Israel bias to some degree. A few op-eds supporting Israel don’t even come close to negating the reams of anti-Israel propaganda.

Greg Swedosh, you can’t be serious. Do you think that ASIO would never use fake passports? Or ever resort to questionable tactics? We just never hear about it, but security agencies must work at the edge of the law all the time. And if you ever discovered that some action of ASIO thwarted a terrorist attack that may have cost the life of one of your family, I have no doubt you would be singing a different tune.

7. Sisu says:

Welcome back SJ!

I have been appalled on some of the anti-Semitic comments made in the op-ed pieces in The Age…. and also comments made in Dvir Abramovich’s blog. They cross the line from point-scoring about Israel the state to making blatant anti-Jewish comments. But anti-Israel or anti-Semitic comments made by idiots doesn’t mean that the message / opinions are irrelevant.

As to the use of Australian passports, I think our pollies have it right – if it has occurred, it is not the act of a friend. If / when there is an investigation, I hope that Israel will facilitate it or apologise if its agents have used Aust passports illegally.

But, Jack and Alan, to claim that Israel has some sort of “right” or obligation to fraudently use another nation’s documents is beyond the pale.

• Mohan says:

Sorry I have read most of the comments after the reports and nearly all are either critical or supportive of Israel. I found one that could be described as anti-semitic. So this is the standard line – criticism of Israel is anti-semitism.

8. Greg Swedosh says:

I live on Earth Alan. In Australia to be exact. I travel internationally a lot as do many Australians. I don’t like the passport integrity of my nation being breached by another nation whoever they are. I don’t recall ASIO being involved in this particular incident so nice switch of topics, but not relevant.

• Morry says:

Greg, you do realise that ASIO agents, like CIA, KGB, or MI6 agents and agents the world over do use fake passports of other nations???? I’m pretty sure Mossad agents do too, as they could accomplish very little travelling on Israeli passports … somewhat self-defeating.

There is no evidence at all that Israel was involved in this fiasco, at this point, but in general, are Israeli agents the only ones you have a problem with? Do you judge them differently to secret agents the world over?

9. Jack Chrapot says:

Sisu,

Where did I say Israel has a right or an obligation to fraudulently use another nation’s documents? I did nothing of the sort and take umbrage at your suggestion that I made such suggestion.

You’re right about the issue of an apology and I hope also that if a proper investigation proves that Israel was framed by the Dubai police then the appropriate apology would be issued to Israel and to the Jewish people.

If I have missed something in the news, please enlighten me, but to date I have not seen a single shred of evidence that Israel wss at all involved, and a lot of evidence that makes that highly unlikely, yet, intelligent people like Alex, Greg Sheridan, and many posters here, jump to that very conclusion.

The facts to date, as I understand it, are that a Hamas terrorist was found dead in a locked room designed to detect any tampering. It seems that he died of electrocution/natural causes/asphixiation and finally they settled on drugged then smothered. Three people have been arrested, two Palestinians who fled to Jordan, and a third Palestinian more recently … and yet people are positive it was Mossad. What exactly is the likelihood of Mossad working with Palestinians on a project like this when they would be giving away Mossad methods and would be subject to blackmail by the Palestinians. On top of that, two of the suspects fled to Iran … I can hardly see Israeli Mossad agents fleeing to Iran, can you? I can go into a whole swathe of similar reasons why it shouldn’t be the Mossad, and am happy to go there, but would rather deal with the passport fiasco.

Let us say, for the sake of argument (though there isn’t a scrap of evidence to suggest it) that Mossad used Australian passports, and, instead of removing the context as has been done here, let’s restore it. I’m happy to state that Mossad uses faked foreign passports. Every nation’s intelligence services uses faked foreign passports. On top of that all terrorist groups and crime syndicates use faked foreign passports. Given all of that, exactly why are we singling Israel out?

That is my point. All my life I have been a firm believer in a level playing field, and where Israel is concerned, I have never found one. The only thing that makes this case more appalling than all the above uses of faked passports, is that the identities have been revealed … not by Israel (who, once again, probably had nothing to do with this entire fiasco, and there is certainly no evidence …. you get the gist), but by Dubai police.

There are many people here damning Israel, including you Alex, and I’m curious to know why. The very flimsy evidence points to an arms deal involving Palestinians and Iranians, all on false passports, gone wrong. Given that the locks weren’t tampered with, it’s not unreasonable to suggest that the perpetrators were let in, then three Palestinians fled and were arrested whilst two fake pasport holders fled to Iran.

So why was the French consul not called in to “please explain”? There is about as much evidence pointing to France as there is to Israel. When we speak of “supporting Israel” this is a case in point, when Israel has been unfairly accused of doing something that has absolutely no evidence behind it. There is a very long swathe of such accusations, from Jenin to the UN compound in Gaza. If we Jews are not going to be the ones to say “where is the evidence” then who will?

I just reread the article, and the crux of my problem lies in this sentence: Similarly, when the Israeli government is likely responsible for acts that compromise the citizens and sovereignty of friendly countries, it is possible to condemn those acts without negating a broad and deep commitment to our homeland.

By all means condemn acts. If you feel strongly about the use of fake passports, condemn their use. But please, please, never go on “likelihoods” to condemn anyone. Israel in particualr has already faced condemnation for a whole bunch of things that never happened or that somebody else did. If Israel is proven to have done something, or admits to having done something, condemn away. Here your condemnation is based on no evidence at all, this “likelihood” simply based on a unfounded, very biased consensus. That may be enough for those who feel uneasy about Jews actually standing up for themselves, but it certainly shouldn’t be enough for us.

As I said before, I may have missed something, so before we discuss whether to condemn Israel or not, could somebody please post the evidence that suggests that it was indeed Israel. I have to date seen none … and the issue of whether Israel should have used fake passports becomes very moot if Israel wasn’t involved.

In our Australian world of “innocent until proven guilty” we cannot give in to popular feelings about who should be guilty, rather we should only consider conclusive evidence. The onus isn’t on Israel to prove innocence, but rather on somebody, anybody, to present evidence of guilt. Currently all that I see is guilt by association with the idea that Israelis wouldn’t be averse to this death. On that basis, 80% of Andrew Bolt’s blog are guilty as sin, including myself, who feels some relief that this man’s activities have been terminated.

12. Les Rosenblatt says:

Alex,
    You’ve written,

‘Some readers will of course object to targeted killings, and there are reasonable arguments on both sides. Anti-Zionists, however, will reject such assassinations as a matter of course, not because they care deeply for the sanctity of human life – their indifference to Israeli civilian suffering betrays their cause as partisan, not humanitarian – but because no Israeli act of self-defence is legitimate in their eyes’.

I don’t know how you can make such a judgement with any genuine sense of moral or ethical confidence. It seems the type of polemical statement I have come to expect from some of the more pugnaciously sanctimonious spokespersons on behalf of Israel’s (still borderless) security. I would expect to read it coming from an Isi Liebler, a Mark Regev, or a Colin Rubinstein.

Firstly, where do you draw the line between Zionists, non-Zionists and anti-Zionists? Are Israeli ex-generals, ex-ministers, ex-Knesset members, as well as a host of Israeli academics and members of Israeli human rights organisations all anti-Zionists in your view if they publicly criticise Israel’s policies and practices of targeted assassinations, or are you referring to Jewish critics outside of Israel? Or perhaps you mean only non-Jews who you judge as indifferent to Israeli suffering if they fall within your undisclosed ‘Anti-Zionist’ category as doubtfully concerned for the sanctity of human life?

It seems to me that in your anxiety to be seen as a friend of Israel as a Jewish homeland (does this include it being a state and nation equally for all of its citizens as the Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel declared in 1948?) you make the mistake of denigrating those of us who can see that Israel’s failure to annex nor free the people’s under its occupation since 1967 has led to its incapacity to resolve its problems through conventional force of arms, to the extent that it now has to rely more and more on a policy of assassinations to deal with the violent enmity it faces.

This does not mean that it is any worse than any of the many other nation-states that practice such assassinations on or off their own soil, nor that it doesn’t have a right to legitimate self-defence, but it does mean that it doesn’t deserve to be privileged out of sympathy for the fact that it is running out of options, short of negotiating with its enemies. And it doesn’t mean condoning it because, like corruption, it’s ubiquitous.

But to baldly assert that ‘anti-Zionists’ don’t regard any act of Israeli self-defence as legitimate, (particularly when you are implying that ‘targeted assassinations’ are legitimate) seems to me at best tendentious and gauche, and at worst condoning lynch-mob/death squad lawlessness if it ‘does the job’ according to sectarian judgement.

Les

• Morry says:

Les, that seems to be a very longwinded way of saying you have no major problems with the targeted assassinations, nor Israel’s need to defend itself in this war being waged against it, when your “This does not mean that it is any worse than any of the many other nation-states that practice such assassinations on or off their own soil, nor that it doesn’t have a right to legitimate self-defence,” would have sufficed.

I do have a problem with your “Israel’s failure to annex nor free the people’s under its occupation since 1967 has led to its incapacity to resolve its problems through conventional force of arms”

It’s so clearly not “Israel’s failure”. The problem lies in the representatives that were foisted upon the Palestinian people, the PLO, in which they were given no say. Israel was forced to try to come to an accommodation with a body for whom there was no accommodation beyond Israel’s demise.

The problem is now compounded by the Oslo requirement of a “Palestinian Authority” which Arafat formed from 9 major terrorist groups each wholly committed to destroying Israel. These groups control every aspect of Palestinian life, and the average hardworking industrious Palestinian is suffering badly as his children are brainwashed to martyrdom, and the borders where he once worked to feed his family are slammed shut in the face of unrelenting terrorist acts, by “leaders” for whom any compromise with Israel is anathema.

One need only look to Gaza to see where the opportunity to grow and develop will take these extremists. The only solution for both Israelis and Palestinians to have any hope of normal lives is for these terrorists to be excised like the cancer that they are … I just have no idea how that is to be done. All I know is that without them there would have been no Operation Cast Lead, and the conflict would have been long resolved.

13. Mohan says:

Jack Chrapot, if Israel has been wrongly framed, the apology should be to Israel not to the “Jewish people”. If Saudi Arabia is wrongly framed, the apology should be to Saudi Arabia not to the “Muslim people.”

14. Alan Freedman says:

Aw shucks, I am offended that Les Rosenblatt hasn’t described me as pugnaciously sanctimonious. Perhaps this will help.

He states that Israel has failed “to resolve its problems through force of arms” but this is purely because over the last 60yrs the prosecution of war changed and I for one, take no issue with this.

In past times, when confronted with warring neighbours, a country like Israel would respond to the attack, kill as many of the enemy as they could and expel the rest. The war would then be over.

Fortunately, these days we don’t sanction this behaviour but it does make it difficult for countries that try to conduct a defensive war with some morality.

Much of the Arab world has a deplorable record on human rights and would have no reservations about slaughtering as many Israelis (and Jews) as they could. Yet Les Rosenblatt, like most of the media, manages to ignore all this and quickly jump to criticise Israel.

To them, there is absolutely no action that Israel can take to defend its citizens – they complain when Israel tries to stop rocket attacks by a military campaign, and they complain when Israel tries to sabotage the acquisition of arms by a targeted assassination of a murderous terrorist (if indeed Mossad was responsible). There is just no pleasing some people.

The only reason Israel hasn’t managed to resolve the situation through force of arms is because it is far too decent a country to do so.

• Mohan says:

Alan Freedman’s reply would be interesting reading as a fairytale – theuth is otherwise. Israel is the regional superpower and the only country with WMDs in the region and with a near unconditional supply of American weapons, money and diplomatic backing. The Palestinians are noting more than a few militias capable of causing injury but incapable of hurting the military power of Israel.
      And Israel is expanding its settlements in the West Bank and Jordan Valley and blockading Gaza – with Egypt collaborating -. Israel can choose to make peace by accepting the Arab League reoslution and Hamas offer of an indefinite ceasefire – that would mean removing the settlements.

15. Daniel Levy says:

Firstly, welcome back Alex! And shalom Yaron!

Secondly, I think we all need to sit down, take a deep breath, and relax. Perhaps we can eat some hamantashan and crack open some grape juice.

1) We don’t yet have all the facts
    2) We don’t even have a proper investigation under way yet
    3) The brevity with which both sides of the argument have moved to voraciously lay down their judgments and accusations suggest that neither side is truly giving the other one due process or a fair go.

Speculation does no good, because at the end of the day we’re making assumptions that could well be 100% incorrect.

While we wait for the facts to come in, as SJ attempted to do (though her attempts were derailed quite magnificently thanks to many), we should focus the debate on how we, as Australian Jews respond. How we respond to the allegation that Israel was involved. How we respond to the alternative that Israel is guilty, and the alternative that Israel is not guilty.

My thoughts are that whilst it is all up in the air, the logical response is that we really should make an effort to empathise with the Australian public. After all, it was 3 Jews (Australian Jews) whose identities were compromised. We should feel just as scared about the possiblity of compromised identities as anybody else. And we should let the wider community know that.

In the event that Israel is guilty (and I truly hope not), then I see no other action but to unequivocally condemn the actions of the current Israeli government.

To those arguing “BUT OTHER COUNTRIES USE FAKE PASSPORTS” I ask, do two wrongs make a right?

Now, in the event that Israel is not guilty, we really have to be careful. Being indignant and self-righteous does not make for good PR. We would be right to expect some kind of apology/public acknowledgment of zero wrongdoing for Israel, but that’s it. Crying foul and prolonging the issue won’t leave a nice aftertaste. A very humble, “we are glad that Israel has been proven innocent, and we’re hoping that we can put this issue behind us” would go a long way to repairing the miniature rift that has formed in Australia-Israel-Jewish relations.

I don’t claim that these are *the* best ways of dealing with the problem from an Aussie-Jewish standpoint. I’m no PR buff, but this is what seems logical to me. I am very likely wrong/misguided about certain parts of what I feel the reaction should be. That’s what I’d like to debate here. How we should react in either case. I think preparing for both would be the most efficient way of spending our time. Not engaging in petty namecalling and mudslinging. That in mind, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

16. Jack Chrapot says:

Mohan,

The Dubai Police Chief in an interview given to Al-Quds Al-Araby (in Arabic) talks of banning all Israelis and of using profiling methods to detect them. In elaborating, he specifically mentions recognising Jewish traits. He distinguishes therefore in his racial targeting between Israeli citizens of Jewish origin and those of Arab, Druze or Vietnamese origin for that matter. It is this police chief who has produced the “evidence” which includes false passports and identified three Israeli citizens who all made Aliya, not because they were Tibetans but because they were Jews. If the passport evidence was faked to embarras and to frame Israel (and I have as much evidence of this as the world at large has that the Mossad did it) then it was done at least in part to provide cover for Hamas and its weapons dealing in Dubai which is the hub of the weapons trade with Iran. The Hamas Charter talks clearly about the necessity to kill Jews. If you’re Jewish Mohan that unfortunately includes you as well.

I’m satisfied that in the circumstances I described earlier, an apology to Israel and to the Jewish people would be warranted but if they eventuate, I’ll do my best to ensure that you’re specifically left out of the wording of the apology.

• Mohan says:

Hello Jack Chrapot

My personal faith aside, I do not have access to the Police statements and do not know Arabic, what I do know is that suspected Israelis will not be allowed entry.

After your posting, I took the trouble of reading hamas charter, it is Islamic sectarian but does not advocate killing Jews or any other religious communities – on the contrary it claims that the umberalla of Islam as the sole protector of other faiths.

The charter apart, Hamas had repeatedly offered a long=term ceasefire and a two-state solution – the issue for Israel and Zionists is the removal of settlements and the creation of a Palestinian state which can control its borders, airspace, electronic commerce, defence and economic policies. No Israeli government – Labour, Likud,Meretz will countenance that and no Zionist supports the formation of such a state.

• Mohan says:

Hello Jack Chrapot again

I tried conforming your claim about “racial” profiling by Dubai. Even Ynet news does not say anything about “racial” profiling.One would expect an Israeli source to kick a fuss about such a policy.

17. Mohan says:

Daniel Levy is interesting. Not enough facts and so on is good but not when it benefits only israel. remember the invasion of Iraq over non-existant WMDs – Zionists were egging the US to invade. Imagine Iran had been “suspected” of involvement in a similar practice and the chorus of support for US invasion that would have risen up from AIJAC to Israel.

18. Eli says:

I am glad and lucky to be in country that presumes the innocence of the accused, with the burden of proof on the accusers. Many who have commented here along with Governments and media seem to have forgotten that primary pillar of justice.

There are many who have commented here and paid lip service to this credo , yet it is plainly clear that they “expect or suspect” Israeli compliance, while claiming to be faithful Australian citizens.

It is only Israel that seems to have the reverse Justice applied.

More importantly it is this very reversal of Justice that allows those who seek Israel’s continual demonisation as a pariah state to propagate as many stories about possible crimes, misdemeanors and so forth, knowing full well that the media will comply and provide undue coverage of even the smallest event.

From the farce with Mohamed Al Dura,via the accusations of Israeli soldiers stealing body parts through to the current passport scandal. The purpose is to vilify and delegitimise Israel and it’s citizens.

The first headlines always stick. That an accusation may later be proven to be incorrect never quite has the same effect.

We as Jews have a natural inclination to justice. Crimes committed by Jews anywhere makes Jews cringe everywhere. Israel’s accusers know this and play on our Jewish conscience.

We are known and proudly acknowledge our place in the world as a “light unto the nations” It is when the possibility of that light being somewhat dimmed that our enemies feel encouraged in maybe snuffing it out all together.

19. Mohan says:

The harvesting of organs has been confirmed by Israeli sources. It was not a case of soldiers on the spot stealing organs though. Please read Haaretz archives for details.